Sunday, January 27, 2013

Pots, Flowers and Water

I don't know what my fascination is with pots of all sorts. The round ones known in India as "matkas", and vases or "kundas". I really love pots and things coming out of them, largely flowers or water.  It started off with a drawing I did in my 2011-2012 Calendar: 




I really loved this piece, which led me to do a few more drawings with markers on bristol paper, that I have in my "Bristol Drawings" Post:





So far, I had only done pieces with pots using my markers. But then, I decided to transfer the idea into paint. This was the first one that I did in paint. It was the first in this series of paintings that I sold. All of the following paintings are done with acrylics on canvas. 

Bismillah Hir Rahman Nir Raheem
"In the Name of God, Most Beneficent, Most Merciful"
12x24


After completing this one, I decided to create another one similar to it. Instead of this one portraying the water falling out of the pot, it portrays the splash of the water as it hits the ground. This one is currently hanging at my mosque, the Al-Fatemah Islamic Center. 



Allahu
24x36

Upon seeing this painting at my mosque, I had a client ask me to make a few paintings for her new home, and so I created these based on the same theme. 


Fabi-ayyi Ala Rabbikuma Tukazhiban
"Which then of the bounties of your lord will you deny" (55:16)
24x36


MashAllah
'By the Will of God'
24x36
My client has a store in the mall in Albany called Arch, and this painting fit very well with the color scheme of the store so she put it up on the wall. I love the way the light hits the painting in the picture, you can really see the shine from the gold and silver paints. 


I had another client in town request a similar painting, but with a darker gold/black color scheme. This is the result: 

MashAllah
'By the Will of God'
24x36

I think thats pots have some element of mystery to them, and along with that they are so varied that there are an endless amount of ways that they can be used in paintings or drawings. I think that this is something that I'll keep doing for a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment