Saturday, January 26, 2013

Doilies and Water


I have a lot of fun experimenting with new techniques when it comes to my art work. In this post, I'll explain two techniques that I played around with. 

Doilies

My first technique is using a doily in order to help make a design. I thought this would be a great idea to try out, and you can see the result in these two paintings. The Doily helps to create a very intricate base layer of shapes, and then it's easier to just make even more details on top of that to really enhance it. Both these paintings are done with acrylics on canvas. 


16x20
Allahu Akbar
'God is Great'

 This painting I did as a wedding present
 for my sister and brother-in-law:

12x12
Allahu

Water

The second technique I played around with was water. I watered down acrylic paints in small bottles, until the paints were a consistency that I liked, and then I just started to move the paints and colors around on some canvas paper. It was messy, but I really liked the result. It almost looks like graffiti. The colors came out neat because some of the paint colors were thicker than others, so some spread a lot more. The watered down paint takes forever to dry though, and you can't move it until its completely dry, or else all the paint will move around again. 

16x20
Allah
Acrylic on Canvas Paper

No comments:

Post a Comment