Saturday, February 9, 2013

Crafty Interlude II: Men's Scarf

I finally finished the scarf I was working on for my BIL. It took about two months, but it's done! I was going to go to Chicago this weekend to see him and my sister however the northeast was slammed last night with the snowstorm "Nemo" so my flight was cancelled, but on the the bright side, it's a good time to wear a scarf!

I had never made a mens scarf and was looking for a good masculine looking pattern, and so when I came across this pattern from a website called Men Who Knit I knew I had struck gold. The actual pattern says to use chunky yarn and cast on 30 stitches. I used worsted (medium) weight yarn and size 9 needles and doubled the pattern to make it 60 stitches. I also had to google how long a Men's scarf usually is and I think the general rule is that the scarf should be as tall as the man. Asad is about 6'1 I think, so the scarf is about 72 inches long and took 3 1/2 balls of yarn. 

The pattern is reversible and has 5 long cables going through it. I had never done cables before but this was a lot easier than I had imagined. The pattern is simple, but it knits up pretty slowly. 

Obviously a little more light in this picture


So then I needed a model for my scarf so I got my little brother to wear it. 



I had a lot of fun on this project but I think I need to focus back on my painting before starting another big knitting project. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment